chrome 400 (grayscale only) output
Emanuele Ruffaldi
2018-01-06 01:39:45 UTC
Dear Henrik,

I have just cleaned up the patch squashing it, removing unnecessary things
and, for filters/video/resize.c added quick paths for planar YUVs (9 CSPs)
without the memcpy.

The patch is made against the last master patch:
b00bcafe53a166b63a179a2f41470cd13b59f927 Cosmetics (2017-12-24 23:47:27
+0300)

Pull Request with single commit: *https://github.com/eruffaldi/x264/pull/5
<https://github.com/eruffaldi/x264/pull/5>*
Squashed Branch: https://github.com/eruffaldi/x264/tree/grayscale_squashed
Detailed Branch: https://github.com/eruffaldi/x264/tree/grayscale
<https://github.com/eruffaldi/x264/tree/grayscale_squashed>

Testing is reported here: https://github.com/eruffaldi/x264/issues/1

Best Regards,
Emanuele
Hi,
For a recording in a resource limited board with mono input I aimed at
encoding directly the video without converting it to gray YUV (with UV
as
zero). This patch implements the changes in the library for supporting
the
mono input and the relative output CHROME_400.
Hi
Seems reasonable to avoid a bunch of unnecessary memory copying of
empty chroma planes in some use cases I guess. Is there any
compression efficiency gains over 4:2:0 with chroma set to
1<<(bit_depth-1)? I'd guess it's basically zero.
I was not aware of this possibility, having time I could look into that
but I don't know if the patch would be smaller.
The commits should be squashed into a single one.
False deltas (random unrelated changes) should be removed.
Good point
The planar I420 to monochrome conversion should work for every other
YUV format with a standalone luma plane as well. Is the memcpy even
needed though?
Fine. In the command line tool x264 the filter resize is in charge of the
color space conversion and I have to verify if it allows a solution without
the memcpy, this depends on the memory ownership policy in the filter.
Best Regards,
Emanuele
Henrik
--
--------
Emanuele Ruffaldi, Ph.D. - Assistant Professor