speeding up encode to multiple bitrate output
Martin Belleau
2017-11-07 21:41:40 UTC
I'm looking to do multiple encodes with same settings (resolution, frame
rate, encoding settings) but producing multiple bitrates on output,
likely using CBR or capped CRF.

Is there currently a way to speed this up and re-use some calculations,
using the x264 DLL?  Could I run the analysis pass once and re-use it
for my various encodes?  And if so, could I do this in pseudo-one-pass
encoding so this could also be used for live encoding scenarios?

Any guess as how much CPU resources/speed I could gain if I re-used
motion compensation, frame type decision, lookahead between the various
encodes (and if that makes much sense, and would much quality would be
lost)?

Would such a thing be possible to implement by modifying x264?

Any other suggestions for accomplishing this goal would be welcome!
Alex Giladi
2017-11-16 19:21:03 UTC
Hi Martin,
A similar concept was recently implemented in x265.
There low-resolution results are scaled and reused to speed up the higher
resolution encoding.
Best,
Alex.